Nicor Gas Sharing Program
One-time annual grants are given, with no requirement to be paid back, to qualified residential customers who meet the required income guidelines. The Nicor Gas Sharing Program is administered by the Salvation Army and funded through direct contributions from Nicor Gas' customers and employees. Nicor Gas matches dollar for dollar the contributions customers make up to $175,000 annually. To apply, visit your local Salvation Army office in person. If you're approved for a Sharing Grant, the Salvation Army will make payments to Nicor Gas on your behalf.
2013 Nicor Gas Sharing Program
Eligible customers can receive a Sharing Grant of either $400 or $450. Elements of the Nicor Gas Sharing Program differ depending on age, so please view the appropriate Q&A for detailed information:
How to Apply for a Sharing Grant
To qualify for a Sharing Grant, you must:
- Be a residential heating customer of Nicor Gas with a payment due.
- Be ineligible for state or federal energy assistance programs.
- Have an annual income above 150 percent but not exceeding 200 percent of the federally established poverty level. Check our Income Guidelines to see if you qualify for a Sharing Grant.
Applicants must apply in person at their local Salvation Army office and should bring the following documents:
- Proof of income (check stub, social security letter or unemployment letter)
- Proof of residence (photo ID, such as a driver's license or state ID)
- Current Nicor Gas bill
The Nicor Gas Sharing Program may be terminated, suspended or modified at any time for any reason without prior notice to participants.
Contribute to the Nicor Gas Sharing Program
If you would like to contribute to the Nicor Gas Sharing Program and are a Nicor Gas customer, just check the appropriate box on your bill stub and add the amount to your payment. If your natural gas bill is electronically transferred to us, you can call 1 888 Nicor4u (1 888 642-6748) to pledge a Sharing contribution that will be automatically added to your bill each month.
If you're not a Nicor Gas customer or you wish to make a larger contribution, please make your check out to "Sharing c/o The Salvation Army" and send it to:
Sharing c/o The Salvation Army
P.O. Box 30049
Chicago, IL 60630-0049